Background to the GEHS
A key initiative of government is to accommodate people whose salaries are too high to get government subsidies, but who earn too little to qualify for a normal bank mortgage.
An estimated 70% of employees who currently receive the housing allowance do not own homes. A further significant number of employees find it extremely difficult to access loans to acquire a house without additional assistance.
Therefore, Government and Organised Labour concluded a collective agreement to establish a Government Employees Housing Scheme (GEHS) with the following objectives:
- To support, educate and advice employees on housing options and opportunities.
- To enhance employees access to affordable housing.
- To promote home ownership and facilitate asset security among employees.
- To assist employees to access affordable housing loans and finance.
- To assist employees to rent houses with a view to buy and own homes.
- And to provide transitional arrangements towards the GEHS.
The agreement is contained in the Public Service Coordinating Bargaining Council (PSCBC) Resolution 7of 2015.